Coach Rachel Sears Casanta
Rachel Sears Casanta, is an endurance sport performance coach who has been working with runners, cyclists, triathletes and multisport athletes for over 20 years. Coach Rachel has guided more than 1500 athletes to achieve their fitness, training and racing goals and elevate their personal fitness and performance. A former professional triathlete, Rachel is the founder and co-owner of Hypercat Racing (endurance sports coaching company) and award winning, Hypercat Cycleworks (full service bike shop) based in Ventura, California.
Rachel competed as a professional triathlete for twelve years racing at distances ranging from sprint to Ironman. She tackled events across the globe including Ironman Canada, Ironman Western Australia and the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii. She represented the USA at eight ITU world championship events in the sports of duathlon and triathlon. In 2010, Rachel was a member of the US Elite Team that secured a gold medal at the ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championships in Immenstadt, Germany. Weeks later she competed on the US Elite Team that brought home silver from the ITU Duathlon World Championship contested in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Throughout her personal athletic career Rachel has coupled her raw experience as an athlete with the art and science of coaching. Possessing a resume as an elite athlete does not guarantee success in a coach role. However, the experience of being an elite athlete does provide firsthand knowledge and an understanding of what habits, methods, strategies and tools are critical to becoming a champion at any life pursuit. Hypercat athletes benefit from Coach Rachel's perspective, experience and mindset.
Coach Rachel guides athletes of all ages and fitness levels, both in person and remotely. Over the course of her career, she has coached track and running programs for the San Francisco Triathlon Club, high school cross-country and track teams, has served as a coach at USA Triathlon Collegiate and USAT Junior Select Camps and numerous independent youth running and triathlon cmaps. Coach Rachel enjoys helping athletes learn, improve and nurture the love of health, fitness and competition.
The pursuit of sport is much more than winning or earning accolades, but it sure is rewarding to achieve! Coach Rachel Sears Casanta’s athletes have earned national titles in aquathlon and duathlon, qualified for world championship events from the sprint distance to Ironman and earned podium placings at world championship events including a gold medal at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in paratriathlon. In addition, for eight years, Coach Rachel created the training program's for USA Triathlon's age group Team USA Duathlon squad in preparations for world championship events.
Endurance Sports Community Contributions
An enthusiastic and passionate speaker, Rachel has served a speaker, panelist and presented clinics and seminars for groups. In January 2020, Coach Rachel Sears Casanta spoke about the business of coaching on a panel of coaching peers at the Endurance Exchange Conference in Tempe, Arizona. Other speaking activities include making presentations for USA Triathlon, and speaking engagements at Genentech, See Jane Run, Sports Basement and Lululemon. She has also spoken to groups including the Washing State University Sport Management club, Syracuse University Alumni Speaker Series, the Rincon Triathlon, Golden Gate Triathlon and San Francisco Triathlon clubs.
Rachel also shares her love of endurance sports through various writing. Her articles on multisport related topics have been featured in publications including FreePlay magazine and she was also a writer for American Tri magazine. Rachel authored a chapter in the book, The Women’s Guide to Triathlon, published by Human Kinetics in June 2015. Rachel was featured in a documentary about the Wildflower Triathlons and has appeared in two open water swimming videos: “How to Swim from Alcatraz” and “From Lane Lines to Shorelines: Guide to Open Water swimming.” In addition, Rachel appeared on the news magazine show “Bridge Street” on WSYR-TV Channel 9 in Syracuse, NY.
Professional Coaching & Related Multisport Experience
- 2020 - Panel Speaker at Endurance Exchange Conference
- 2020 - Mentor - TBIW (Triathlon Business International Women)
- 2019-2020 - Triathlon Business International Board Member
- 2019 - Founder of Women on Wheels Ventura County Cycling Club
- 2017 - TriEqual Change Makers Committee
- 2015 - USA Triathlon SW Region Youth Coordinator
- 2015 - USAT-SW Region Kids Committee Chair
- 2013 - USA Triathlon Women's Committee
- 2011 - USA Triathlon Youth National Championships Pre-Race Clinic - Swim Coach
- 2009 - Assistant Coach, XC / Track & Field, Albany High School - Albany, CA
- 2009 - Coach, San Francisco Triathlon Club Ironman Training Programs
- 2008 - Head Coach, Boys & Girls XC, International High School - San Francisco, CA
- 2008 - Presenter, Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon, Course Review - San Francisco, CA
- 2006 - '07 Head Coach, Track Program, San Francisco Triathlon Club
- 2005 - Coach, Subway Endurance Kids, Endurance Challenge Camp - Kauai, Hawaii
- 2004 - Guest Speaker, Tiger Trails XC Camp - Berkeley, CA
- 2003 - '04 Coach - TriCalifornia Camps & Clinics
- 2003 - 2008 - Author, Team USA Duathlon Worlds Team Training Program
- 2003 - '04 Co-Head Coach, XC, Lick Wilmerding High School - San Francisco, CA
- 2003 - Head Coach, USA Triathlon Collegiate Triathlon Training Camp, Clermont, FL
- 2003 - Coach, Reebok "Team Vector" - Triathlon Team - Fighting ovarian cancer
- 2001 - Volunteer Coach, Duathlon, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training
- Founder & President, Hypercat Racing (founded in 2001)
Certifications, Associations & Sport Involvement
- IRONMAN Certified Coach
- USA Triathlon Level III Certified Coach
- USA Triathlon Youth & Junior Certified Coach
- USA Cycling Level II Certified Coach
- Slowtwitch Coaching Power Certified Coach
- TrainingPeaks Level II Accredited Coach
- Precision Nutrition Level I Certified Coach
- American Council on Exercise Certified Personal Trainer (since 2000)
- Member of Fund Her Tri Coaches Alliance
- USA Triathlon Southwest Region Administrator, 2009 - 2018
- USA Triathlon Certified Official - Cat 4
- Founding member of San Francisco Triathlon Club
- 2002-2004 - Contributing Writer - American Tri magazine
- 2001-2002 - Co-Chair - USA Triathlon, Duathlon Commission
- 2001-2003 - Southwest Region Representation - USA Triathlon Duathlon Commission
Personal Athletic Highlights
- Former Professional Triathlete / Duathlete
- 8-time world championships Team USA competitor
- 4 time Ironman competitor professional field, including Ironman Hawaii
- former duathlon age group world champion (standard distance) / Bronze medalist (long course)
- scholarship runner in cross country & track for Syracuse University
- 35+ years of competitive running experience with career wins at 400m to the marathon
- 22+ years of triathlon racing experience, 12 professional
- 2002 - Inducted into Sports "Wall of Fame" - Paul V. Moore High School, Central Square, NY.
- 2002 - Honorable Mention - USA Triathlon Elite Duathlon Rookie of the Year